Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Balance

I have more work than I can fit into my work day - and I am struggling to find that balance.  I have work to do tonight - but I am going to close up shop by 11:00 to make sure that I make time for my husband.  I figure I can start the work day early tomorrow - instead of extending it into the night.

I took a few hours off today to drive a friend to her radiation treatment (one of the reasons I have to work late tonight).  She has been fighting colon cancer for 5 years.  She is in her early 30s.  She went undiagnosed for many years because they told her she was too young for a colonoscopy.  Anyone out there that is being told to ignore symptoms because they are not in the right demographic for the disease needs to see a different doctor!  9 years ago I was in the middle of my treatments for Lymphoma - it was 3 years after I first saw a doctor about the pea sized lump I found in my neck before I was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer.  So I am a little off topic here but I just want everyone to recognize that you know your body better than any doctor and you need to push for tests when you think things aren't right.

Good night and good health!

9(2)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the advice. I had a coworker under the age of fifty die of colon cancer because he also was too young to be needing a colonoscopy. I have had two five years apart and have no worries at this time. Not a lot of fun to prep for though. Part of the problem for your friend may have been that the insurance company would not cover a routine colonoscopy for someone her age so an expensive procedure was put off because it was not likely colon cancer at her age. Not defending the doctors here, just presenting a possible other reason nothing was done sooner. Make sure your doctor is not passing over something because he is worried about chasing a zebra with your money, especially if you are uninsured or the procedure is not approved.

    ReplyDelete